6 Month Update & 6 Things I Have Learned in New York | NYC Survival Guide














The 15th of April marked six months for me living here in New York. I can't believe a whole six months has passed already, time really does fly when you're having fun! Since moving to this crazy place I have learned so much already which I have decided to share with you guys.

1. You Will NEVER Have Enough Money!

No matter how much money you may think you have it is never enough in this city. It is probably the most expensive place I have lived and also visited. Whether it be going for dinner, drinks or paying rent I find myself constantly spending money every day. You cannot leave your house in New York and not spend anything, it is IMPOSSIBLE. My advice for anyone coming either to live or visit is to make sure you are financially ready.

2. You Have To Really Want It Here

New York is defiantly not for everyone and since moving here I can understand why. Everything is super expensive, you are living in a tiny cramped apartment with no garden or outdoor space like you may have been used to (especially coming from Ireland), there are people everywhere and there is no such thing as a good nights sleep without been woken up by alarms or cars beeping. Most people here work multiple jobs just to survive, living here will defiantly challenge you as a person but you will come out tougher than you ever thought you could be.

3. You Don't Know Who You Could Be Talking to!

This is one of my favourite things about New York and it is that everyone has a story. No matter who you talk to here whether it be the old man sitting at the bar or the person who sits down next to you on the subway, you can learn so much from having a conversation with these random strangers. After all, everyone moves to New York for a reason whether it be for a better life or to live their dream.

4. There's No One Like The Irish 

The Irish look after the Irish here. Sin é!

5. What Is A Kitchen And Why Is It Taking Up My Space?

Seriously I do not know why people insert kitchens here in New York. I can honestly say I have used mine maybe twice since I arrived. You will never cook here unless you are one of those people who finds cooking actually fun. Going back to why you will never have enough money living here is probably due to the fact that I eat out two to three times a day, but with thousands of restaurants to explore it would be a shame to cook at home, right?

6. Don't Take Everything To Heart!

If this city doesn't give you a thick skin I don't know what will. People here are rude, they will push and shove you until they get onto the subway, they speak their mind and sometimes they will make you feel like the smallest person on earth but you just can't take everything to personal here.

Despite all these lessons learned I have never felt more at home than here in New York City!

I hope this post helps you if you are having trouble making a decision on whether to move here because it is not everything you see in movies but saying that it is still my favourite place in the world and I wouldn't have it any other way <3

Love,
Leah